A journal as I travel around Europe with Everybody Was In The French Reststance...Now

I will be posting nonsense/pic's etc as I travel around the UK & Europe as guitarist/"musical facilitator" aka the bloke fiddling about at the back with Everybody Was In The French Resistance ...Now .

Monday 8 February 2010

Brumburger....






... is the title of a tune by Birmingham born & bred Lawrence Hayward, ex of Felt, Denim & more lately the quite brilliant Go Kart Mozart. Laughing Larry stole that from the not-very-successful Cliff Richard film "Take Me High", "Brum Burger" being the name of a burger served at the fictitional 1970's Birmingham restaurant that pre-colostomy Cliff worked at in the film (check out this amazing youtube clip HERE). Nothing in Birmingham today really looks as it did in this movie/70's Brum anymore (despite going relatively unchanged for MANY years previously!), so much so that I managed to get lost twice walking around my old stomping-ground! In my defence, the venue we played at The Flapper is kind of out of the way, in the newly gentrified canal district, & Chalkie got us there nice & early so we had plenty of time to wander ! After soundcheck I went to meet a load of my old Wolvo mates in The City Tavern which had the best pint of Davenports bitter you could imagine (yes Davenports is back ... remember the old ad's in the 70's?? click HERE), then it was over to the gig, pausing only to take a pic of Noddy Holder's star on the B'ham Broad St Walk Of Fame! (yes, really !!). The gig was good, especially considering it was only booked a week ago as a warm-up. What else?..oh a couple of nice chaps took some nice pix that you can see if you click HERE ! Couple of days off then it is the " official debut" in London at Dingwalls on Tuesday 9th! More then !

1 comment:

  1. Birmingham today has, surprisingly, changed quite a bit from the good old 70s. I find myself taking at least one wrong turn every time I'm there...I'm surprised that one of the restaurants in Birmingham don't yet offer a Brum Burger in light of Take Me High, if they do I'm yet to find one. I reckon it'd be a pretty good drawing card.

    ReplyDelete