A journal as I travel around Europe with Everybody Was In The French Reststance...Now

I will be posting nonsense/pic's etc as I travel around the UK & Europe as guitarist/"musical facilitator" aka the bloke fiddling about at the back with Everybody Was In The French Resistance ...Now .

Thursday 18 February 2010

The kids in Bristol are sharp as a pistol when they're doing......





... the Bristol Stomp ! Well the Friday day-off was a blur: I accompanied my mate (& former Lemon Drops sound guy) Noel Thompson on a crawl of Hampstead / Belsize park hosteleries, culminating in a good few hours in The Haverstock Arms, quite a famous boozer frequented by the type of "celebrities" that most reading this would basically probably hate . Chalkie arrived & we then went into Soho to celebrate the birthday of one of The Sugars (also present were Little Barrie, Andy Hackett & various others!). Then my mate Fenners turns up & we ran into Shag who used to be in Linoleum & Elastica, & THEN we bumped into Jeff Barrett (Heavenly records etc) on the street & he tried to drag us to see The Soft Pack at The Social ! Mental really !

Anyway, Bristol ! We finally get moving & Chalkie & I have to pick up Eddie & Dyan from Southampton (it was Ed's mom's birthday), so we do, & as fate would have it we stop off for a piss-stop at an amazing Marstons pub on Salisbury plain. I make everybody drink Marstons bitter & eat Scampi Fries ! We drive by Stonehenge & we make the obligatory usual Spinal Tap jokes, as one should ! It was a gorgeous drive, especially for me as I was basically still drunk from the night before !

We arrive at Bristol, & the gig is The Thekla, which is a boat that the great Vivian Stanshall of the Bonzo Dog Band used to own. I was reminded of a Blue Aeroplanes gig I saw there in about 1989 & I distinctly remember a toilet in the gents room was overflowing, the contents seeping through the ceiling onto the bar below where several customers pints were getting a nice "urine top" !!! (they have now, thankfully, moved the bar from below the toilets!). My missus Bekki arrives, & Eddie's dad does too (& not forgetting good mates Fuzzy, Mary, Bev & all!). We had a great gig & afterwards we all (as in us, The Lovely Eggs & our pals ) go to some other club (well it it is Saturday night) and well fuck me till I fart but there is a band playing with Amelia Fletcher from legendary indie stalwarts Talulah Gosh / Heavenly playing ! They were ace, & I have attatched a pic of Bekki & I with ol' Amelia (even though I reckon she could tell that we were both a bit worse for wear !) .

Leeds next !!!! . . . . .

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I do love me some Heavenly! Jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that shows how pissed I was......I remember NOTHING about Amelia Fletcher or indeed getting back to our hotel!Must have been one hell of a night ;-)

    ReplyDelete