A journal as I travel around Europe with Everybody Was In The French Reststance...Now

I will be posting nonsense/pic's etc as I travel around the UK & Europe as guitarist/"musical facilitator" aka the bloke fiddling about at the back with Everybody Was In The French Resistance ...Now .

Thursday 11 February 2010

Nottingham





The Bodega Social ... possibly previously owned by the Heavenly group of folks if I am not mistaken ! A great little venue ! I like Nottingham ... has the oldest pub in the country, home of Boots the chemist, also that Shane Meadows bloke who makes those top films (though that last one with the kid from This Is England living in London with the Polish kid was ok but not my personal fave!). And not forgetting (& least famously!) once home to brilliant post-punk band The Favourites, who managed to provide me, as a record collector, with my single longest ever search ever to track down a record I heard on the John Peel show in 1979 ... i finally managed to track down a copy of their elusive & frankly incredible "S.O.S" 7" 45 just a couple of years back (via eBay ... at great expense!). (The Favourites were also previously one of the first ever bands signed to Stiff records in 1976 as pub-rockers Plummett Airlines, fyi !). Anyway, a fun time was had by all. We ate dinner in a spooky-creepy pub called the Pit & Pendelum ... if 16 year old goth girls dressed as 8 year old goth-girls is your thing, then this is the place for you ! Again I missed the opening bands (I was meeting my old mate Ferrett in the aforementoned P&P) but everybody said they were ace ! It was a rocking gig for a cold (snowy!) Wednesday night, & we met some really nice people. Afterwards the club became an indie dance club (an insane one that, for some reason played Rosanna by Toto !) & I have attatched a picture of some broken glass & puke on the streets of Nottingham to give you an idea of what it was like ! After a few more drinks with Ferrett, on the way back home I caught Eddie prowling the streets of Nottingham desperately trying to locate a bottle of red wine to accompany he & Dyan's late night soiree: watching Die Hard on the hotel tv !! Aaaah .... now we're talking ! !!! (the Bodega kindly sold him a bottle to take out btw !).

No comments:

Post a Comment